Thursday, April 30, 2009

Du Bai or not To Buy

It’s been nearly 8 months I am in Dubai but still I am trying to hide the fact from people where I exactly am. This may be mainly because of the fact that I do not find solace in this place, but then I realized that the place as per say has done no harm to me. It’s mostly related to professional satisfaction that one derives out of his/her job.
Coming into terms with this situation I decided to put my thoughts about Dubai or say Middle East per say in my blog.
More you stay in this country more fascinated you are.
There are lot of topics I want to write about , but being uninitiated in the field of writing I, first of all beg pardon from my readers. My thoughts may skip jump & hop faster than a frog but then you know that I am no Gabriel Garcia Marquez. You may find that there is no fluidity in my writing but that’s when I need your constant feedback so that I can develop my skills a little bit. Everyone is not born a Rabindranath Tagore.

Anyways let’s start with November 15th 2005, the day I landed in Dubai from Mumbai. There is a saying,”Cool dudes buy from Dubai & fat Mom’s shop in Mumbai”. I don’t know how true it is but yes, one thing for sure; they maintain the temperature quite cold in the malls.

O.K. no more jumping around. The journey from Airport to the Hotel Apartment – “Golden Sands 9” was quite impressive. Neat & Clean roads with some forced greenery on the side roads, huge buildings on either side of the road – it creates an ambience of overindulgence around it.

Let’s start with Golden Sands 9. I am very particular about this 9. Because there are eleven Golden Sands & nine Silver Sands. All are Hotel Apartments and depending on your number you have different facilities. The area where “Sands” are located is called Bur Dubai.
Now a little bit of geography. Take a plain white piece of paper. Fold it in to halves. Label the left as Diera and the right as Bur Dubai – Karama. That’s Dubai geography for you. The line that you get by folding the paper is the Dubai Creek.
Diera is old city, more like Mumbai 20 years hence and Bur Dubai - Karama is like New York say 8 years ago.
Now put this paper in a table. If you leave the paper and travel further left (North) you will be traveling towards Sharjah, Ajman, Umal Quiamn , Ras Al Khaima and then to the Arabian Gulf. If you go further right behind the paper (South) you cross Al Ain, Abu Dhabi till you kiss the feet of KSA (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia).

Now that you have fair idea about the geography of Dubai It will be easier for me to explain “Sands” to you. This huge property of Hotel Apartments is developed and run by Arenco Properties. The reputation of the hotels is quite good but the reputation of the area is quite poor- we will revisit the same later. Most of the Hotels in Dubai are Hotel Apartments. They can be from Studio Apartment to Three Room Apartments (3BHK in Mumbai style). They are fully furnished with Kitchen, Washing Machine etc. etc. They are rented from daily to yearly basis. Self sustained apartments with full privacy – that’s a key word – Privacy.

No comments: