Thursday, April 30, 2009

Lies,Damn Lies & Statistics !!

I was too bored at work today. Lying, lying and lying to my beloved customers. They also realize that I am lying but they really want to hear me “lying”.
Everyone knows Sales people makes the world look like heaven before getting an order or closing a deal and after that they show the real movie – the Hell in full glory.
But it’s a funny game everyone enjoys playing – both the customers & the suppliers. The customers will always press for deliveries and suppliers will always give reasons for late delivery.

I heard one of my colleague telling a customer (this customer is also beloved),” Sir!! How can you be so selfish? There’s a full blown war going on in Lebanon and you are worried about your materials. Now we are too much focused on the war. Please bear with us till the war is over.”
Good thinking I would say. But after half an hour another guy from the same customer calls up and tells my colleague,” Boss, we are desperate. We got an order to ship the materials to Lebanon. It’s for the Army. I think it’s your duty to help us now.”
We talk about smart sales guys – what an underestimation?

I am trying hard to figure out a structured way of lying – Hey!! It’s not that easy. It’s like a chess game. You lie, and then you think about all the possible questions or replies you will get and then frame another lie to counter all such individual questions and it goes on & on. At the end the brighter of the two players win.
Either Karpov or Kasparov.

No comments: